and ApplicationS of Watershed Atlas of India:-
The Watershed Atlas of India (WAI) can become an important tool for planning, implementation and monitoring of watershed development programmes. The utilities of WAI, embedded special features, advantages as well as limitations of the atlas has been deliberated to various user Departments and programme implementing agencies. The concept and approach of WAI were also presented at National Seminars and at South-East Asian Regional Meeting of International Hydrologic Decade. User Departments and Agencies have been supplied copies of full or part of the Atlas of their interest along with the compendium of watershed.
Unique features of this Atlas are as under:-
1. WAI is one of pioneer attempts on National level for systematic and scientific delineation and codification of watersheds at 1:1 million scale. It will serve as an appropriate macro level framework for developmental planning of programmes being implemented on watershed approach.
2. WAI follows a systematic methodology of delineation from downstream to upstream approach.
3. The alpha-numeric codification system employed is simple, open and amendable to computerization.
4. The scale of 1:1 million makes the WAI compatible to various thematic maps being prepared on the same scale like, Soil Map of India, Ground Water, Geo-hydrology maps, Forest Map of India etc.
5. WAI shall serve as an uniform baseline for developing hydrologic unit based data bank.
6. WAI provides a common basis for various Departments/Agencies involved in development activities based on watershed approach including surface water resources development.
7. WAI can also form the basis for further micro level delineation and codification of watersheds.
8. WAI provides an uniform network of watersheds for runoff and sediment studies and examining their relationship with catchment characteristics.
9. Additional and ancillary data given in the compendium of watersheds with respect to linking of common stream names with watershed codes, area (in ha) of watersheds, districts covered by each watershed etc. will be advantageous in selecting and prioritizing watersheds for developmental activities.
10. Since this WAI is digitally produced, it can be uploaded in the website and the user agencies can access the digital maps and data at the click of a mouse.